How Softswitch is Useful in Telecom Industry
Soft Switch: What does it imply?
Software switch or softswitch sits at the center of a telecommunications network facilitating connection of telephone calls across disparate networks or Internet enabled IP telephony lines. Softswitch program is installed on a server and utilizes VoIP technology for routing calls.
Softswitch has essentially ushered in a new era for telecom industry offering a convincing leap over conventional hardware based switching system. Apart from extended functionality and cost reduction, this pioneering technique offers a slew of other advantages.
How Softswitch is beneficial to telecom sector?
Softswitch has been proving advantageous on a number of counts, prominent among them being:
- Scalable architecture with the inherent capability of adapting to and encompassing expansion to the network seamlessly
- Significant slashing of cost owing to less expenditure on setting up infrastructure, hardware and acquiring space
- Thorough system overhaul is not necessitated when network expansion or upgrading activity is carried out, only a simple installation of software would suffice
- System does not call for heavy investments or exorbitant maintenance costs
- System embraces open standards, which means it can be easily ported or tailored to meet customer needs
- SoftSwitch can be installed remotely
- It can be integrated with other software for extended functionalities involving invoicing, call recording and voice mailing
- The type of incoming calls that can be routed is literally innumerable and the spectrum encompasses traditional as well IP calls
- System comparatively analyses available carrier paths and route calls to the cheapest outbound communication line by utilizing Least Cost Routing feature
- SoftSwitch can be integrated with a number of add-ons for better communication facilitation. SIP Proxy facilitates IP telephony and conventional PSTN calls for better interaction with end users; Presence Server facilitates advanced communication among users by collecting info regarding network availability and ease of communication; billing module does away the need of expending on additional invoicing software and can spontaneously bill customers by scanning call summaries; Report Generation module keeps you updated about the call details and relevant statistics.
Insight into Class 4 and Class 5 Softswitches:
Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) softswitches can be classified into two categories; Class 4 and 5 respectively. Class 4 is deployed for facilitating VoIP transit of traffic amongst carriers. It primarily handles and routes the bulk of long distance VoIP calls. It provides support for protocols and facilitate conversions, transcoding etc. and also provides insights into calls per second, time taken for routing one call on an average, and the number of simultaneous calls.
Class 5 is deployed for facilitating end user convenience where local and long distance telephony are involved. The features of this service are IP PBX, call center service, platform for calling card, authorization types and forming QoS business clusters. All of them have spelled success for telecom industry.
Elision Billing is a comprehensive softswitch solution for telecom companies aspiring to provide cutting edge services for residential, business and wholesale voice over IP, calling card services, call-back and DID (telephone number) resale. This Class4/5 softswitch has an inbuilt intuitive billing mechanism that captures detailed logs of wholesale and individual VoIP services, calling cards and similar services. The system can be integrated with any third party software for enhanced functionality and reduced operational cost.